Monday, January 24, 2011

Looking back on 2010

Late in 2010 I made a conscious decision to improve my paddling. After a couple of years of paddling in the Bay and the odd trip on the open ocean, I thought it was time to learn skills like rolling, bracing in breaking waves and surviving in surf.  

I got involved with the Victorian Sea Kayaking Club in the second half of the year, going to pool sessions and skills sessions. I learnt a lot from VSKC instructors, especially John and Tina.

My roll remains dodgy and I have a continuing propensity to capsize in surf, but I am having fun on blue water.

After an extended period between jobs, paddling at least twice a week, I also learnt that not working is very good for one's kayaking. (A promising sign for my retirement in 30+ years.)

My final paddle of 2010 was a VSKC trip from Flinders to Cape Schanck. This was something of a landmark for me, as I had admired the rugged cliffs and rough waters of Cape Schanck on a couple of bushwalks. As we landed our kayaks on the rocks beneath the Cape, I watched walkers parading down the wooden boardwalks leading to the Cape and enjoyed the thrill and novelty of travelling by kayak.  Some photos of this trip are posted below.

Launching from the golf course

Checking out Bushranger Bay

Boats at lunch

Rest stop

No comments:

Post a Comment